Missouri Workplace Injury Lawyers


If you have been injured in a workplace accident or have a diagnosed illness or injury that is related to the performance of your job duties, filing a claim for Missouri workers' compensation benefits may substantially relieve the financial strain of needing medical care and not being able to work. Because the state's laws and workers' compensation system are complex, and because both employers and work comp insurance carriers have their own attorneys, you may need your own lawyer to be successful.


At Hoffmeister Doherty & Webb, LLC, we provide knowledgeable advice and effective legal representation for injured workers throughout Missouri. With more than 80 years of combined workers' compensation experience and a proven track record of success at all stages of the claims and appeals processes, you can feel confident in our ability to protect your rights and interests as well. Call or contact us for a free consultation today.


The process described below is only an overview. Because there are a number of important filing deadlines, dates and other details that can easily be missed, we strongly encourage you to contact us or another experienced workers' compensation lawyer prior to moving forward with any claim.


Provided any immediate medical treatment needs have already been met, the first step in the process is to notify your employer, in writing, within 30 days.


Next, continue get the medical care you need and follow your physician's treatment recommendations. Your medical expenses will be 100 percent covered by your employer or the employer's work comp insurance carrier, provided you receive treatment from a physician or health care provider approved by your employer and/or the employer's insurer. Missouri law also allows injured workers to choose their own doctor at their own expense.


After you've notified your employer and received medical care, file a workers' compensation claim. The statutory time limit for filing a claim is generally two years from the date of injury or diagnosis, but may be longer in some cases. You can obtain the claim form online or at any office of the Division of Workers' Compensation.


You will then receive notice to attend a hearing before an administrative law judge. You must attend this hearing. If your claim for benefits is denied, you can appeal the decision to the Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission, and if necessary, to the Missouri Court of Appeals. In rare instances, the Missouri Supreme Court has also agreed to hear workers' compensation appeals.


Missouri Workers' Compensation Benefits


Benefits available to injured workers in the state of Missouri include:


Medical care coverage

Payment for lost wages

Temporary total disability benefits

Permanent partial disability benefits

Permanent total disability benefits

Second Injury Fund claims (available when a partially disabled worker suffers a second injury that renders him or her totally disabled)

Death benefits (also known as survivor benefits), including Kids' Chance educational scholarships

Whatever the nature of your injury or situation, our lawyers can evaluate the facts and circumstances of your case, explain your legal rights and help you recover all of the Missouri work comp benefits you are entitled to.


Because of our experience practicing in both Missouri and Kansas, we are also able to advise clients who work across state lines as to where they can and/or should file their claims to obtain the best compensation benefits.


Contact Us for a Free Consultation


We offer free consultations and will advance all costs related to pursuing your claim for Missouri workers' compensation benefits. Missouri state law limits attorney fees for workers' compensation claims to a maximum of 25 percent of past due benefits only; we recover no fees unless we are successful on your behalf.


To learn more about workers' compensation claims in Missouri or your rights as an injured worker, contact us online or call our Kansas City area law offices in Overland Park at 913-971-0241.